Wednesday, August 12, 2009

sun bathing

My O- blood type may be great for the blood banks but it turns out not to be so good for my baby's bilirubin count. There is some fancy word to describe this problem but I really don't remember what it's called. On Monday I took her into the doctor for a check-up and then spent way too long at the hospital to get some blood work done. I then headed over to my friend Haylie's for a photo shoot. While I was there the doctor called me. It always worries me a bit when I get a call directly from the doctor and not the nurse or receptionist. She said her bili count was way too high. So high that she could be admitted to the hospital. She was having some bili lights delivered to my house and she wanted the baby under them a.s.a.p. Post baby hormone levels and the news of my babies precarious situation was not the best combination. I was somehow able to keep myself together and headed home.

The lights were delivered and in no time at all Amelia was catching some much needed rays. She had to be in there at all times except when I fed her. When I took her out I had to use a special light blanket. Turns out she didn't like being in there so much. When I would take her out to feed her it would take me forever to get her settled back under them. By the second day her levels were heading down and her newborn rash had miraculously cleared up. One more day and night under the lights and her therapy was complete. Yay.

No comments: