Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Rule # 1

Our first stop on our trip was to Mesa Verde. It is filled with 600 different ancient cliff dwellings. It is really spectacular that people lived like that.
Hiking there with seven kids (my sister in law has two) was a bit unnerving. In order to prepare the kids we had a serious talk with them on the way to the first hike. Mariah came up with our first and most important rule when she said, "Is the number one rule no jumping off cliffs?." The first hike was to cliff palace. It was a little stressful trying to keep the kids away from the edges. However, when comparing it to our next hike at Balcony house it was nothing.

We had to climb to very long ladders with nothing but a cliff beneath us. What really freaked me out was watching Scott come up with Gabe on his back. I was very grateful he was so careful. I would love to go to Mesa Verde again but I think I will wait a few more years.

4 comments:

Daniel B. said...

Holly, I love that part of Colorado, one of the West's overlooked secrets. I've not been there in over a decade, but I remember feeling like a young Indiana Jones exploring through the ruins. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Mariah, DO NOT JUMP OFF ANY OF THE CLIFFS!

Anjuli Fry said...

Wow your brave!!! I don't think I could have taken my kids up there!!!
I am glad you found my blog, I love blogging and reading others blogs!

Joy said...

I agree with Dan - I love Mesa Verde. We went when we were kids. Isn't just a beautiful place? Dan is right, I felt a little like Indiana Jones when I was there too! Have you checked out my blog yet? zacandjoy.blogspot.com Love to have you come and look!